Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

March 13, 2010

Ranch Pork Roast

I love recipes you can memorize! This meal made me proud the first time I made it--Michael declared it an instant favorite! It's been my go-to recipe for a long time.

Ranch Pork Roast

a 2.5 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
Nonstick Cooking Spray (important)
1 lb new red-skinned potatoes, halved
10.75 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened and cut up
0.4 oz envelope ranch dry salad dressing mix

First, I want to point out how many ways you can divert from the original recipe.
- You can dice regular red potatoes instead of new.
- I've used other pork parts, and it works fine.
- Regular ranch dressing makes it more creamy! I don't have a preference, honestly.
- It's okay if you don't have exact amounts; this recipe is so forgiving.

1. Trim fat from meat. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium heat. In hot skillet brown meat on all sides. Remove from heat.

2. Place potatoes in a 3.5- or 4.5-quart slow cooker (it's helpful to spray the slow cooker first with cooking spray, but even if you don't, and your food sticks to the sides, it's still yummy). Place meat on potatoes. In a bowl whisk together soup, cream cheese and dressing mix. Spoon over meat and potatoes in cooker.

3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4.5 to 5 hours. Again, this recipe is forgiving! If you brown the meat more thoroughly, 4 hours can be sufficient on high and 6 to 8 on low, depending on your slow cooker.
Stirring is optional (as in, if you're like me and you like to check on your food and stir it for fun, go for it--but it's okay if you totally ignore the slow cooker till your food is ready).

ABOUT 6 MAIN-DISH SERVINGS

[Formal] Variation: Creamy Ranch Potatoes
Prepare as above, except omit pork roast, use 2.5 lbs potatoes, and substitute one 8 oz. carton dairy sour cream for cream cheese. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3.5 to 4 hours. Stir before serving. Makes 6 side-dish servings.


No comments: