Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

March 23, 2010

Crumb Top Coffee Cake

Does anyone have a coffee cake recipe they're in love with? Because I really do like this cake, but every time I make it, I can't help but daydream of a better cake made by my harp teacher (I'll get that recipe someday, I promise myself and the world!).
Oh well. Dreams aside, this is a very good breakfast cake, and even if there are leftovers after breakfast, there are no leftovers by the end of the day.

Crumb Top Coffee Cake
printable version

Bake: 30 minutes @ 375*

TOPPING - I doubled the topping; there really wasn't enough for my taste otherwise, but if this is too much for you, cut it in half!
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour (always sift before measuring)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature (not melted!!!)
2 tsp cinnamon

CAKE
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
~
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

In small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients. Blend with fork until crumbly (I like to use my pastry blender). Set aside.

Sift baking powder and salt with 1 1/2 cups sifted flour into a bowl. I skip the extra sifting and just blend the sifted flour with the baking powder and salt, but only because I'm perhaps a bit lazy. I don't always even sift the flour to start with. In other words, it works when you don't, but there's a reason it's part of the recipe!
In a medium bowl, beat together beaten egg and 3/4 cup sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter. Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 8- or 9-inch layer-cake pan. Or a 2-quart square pan, don't worry if you don't have the "right" pan.
Sprinkle topping crumb mixture evenly over batter.
Bake at 375* for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Partially cool in pan on wire rack. Cut cake while still warm.

No comments: