Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

March 3, 2010

Memorizable Frosting

It's way too easy!
printable version

1 stick of butter
2 cups of powdered sugar
~2 tsp milk (or just pour what looks like a good amount!)
a touch of vanilla

Blend together and taste as you go! Too buttery? Add more sugar. Too dry? Add more milk. Too creamy? More sugar!
Oh yeah, and food coloring if you want.

That's it!

NOTE: It won't look like frosting at first. Don't be discouraged, keep blending. It will get there. And I know a lot of people, actually, who don't measure out their ingredients for frosting. But I like to because this recipe works perfectly every time. I don't divert from it (except by accident when I splash a bit too much milk or vanilla in, woops!), and I've been pleased with the taste. The fact is, if you do want to change something, it really is super easy to just keep tossing ingredients back and forth until you get your favorite consistency/flavor.

I once added a lemon candy-flavor-syrup, and it was dreamy. Then I tried again years later with normal lemon flavoring, and it was horrible. So if you get ideas to flavor it one way or the other, try a tiny bit before you throw the whole batch. :)

If you feel like getting fancy, here's an easy way to do those frosting bags (even if you don't have decorator tips):
Pile a glop of frosting into a ziploc bag. Zip. Snip a tiny hole off the corner. Push the frosting from behind the glop, not the middle (like the proper way to dispense toothpaste).
Tada!

If you do have decorator tips, push the nozzle through the hole and screw on the appropriate tip before piling in the glop of frosting.

Now that I've had this post here for a long time under the title "Memorizable Frosting," it strikes me as quite funny that I have never memorized it! I always think I'll remember it...so it's still "memorizable," but that doesn't mean you WILL memorize it! :)

No comments: