Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

March 3, 2010

Cake Tips

The first cake I remember making is for my little sister's 8th(ish) birthday. Somehow it turned out very, very rounded on the top, and the frosting looked like toothpaste. But she liked the little bears dancing around it, and it tasted good. So she forgave me.
The next cake: ugly. Sorry, but it just was. And it was for the same sister! Poor dear. The cake was a plain round one, but the decoration was such a disaster I was embarrassed to show it to anyone. I'd tried to write a message...and tried to do hearts...and I don't know what else I tried, but I wished I'd stopped trying.
The next? HUGE flowers. Nobody wanted to gag down those wads of frosting. And the colors were a little more garish than pastel.
The next: for a friend's son's birthday. I made a yellow cake from scratch...it smelled soooo good. But I made the mistake of starting late, so I had to rush with the decorating. :| Not a good idea! It was all rather monotone. Not too hideous, but not very exciting either. I just hoped the little boy was too young to care.

And then my son's 1st Birthday Cake... I "drew" a giraffe on the cake. It was cool. Finally. Cool, not ugly.

So, through all these cake experiences, I've gathered some handy tips!
  1. If you've outlined a picture and want to fill it in with frosting, use a decorating tip and make little dollops throughout the shape. Then use a little spreading knife to blend it in.
  2. If you're making a round cake or frosting any cake that is on its serving dish (rather than serve-able from its pan), slip some strips of wax paper or parchment paper or even tinfoil. Remove after frosting. This keeps the plate looking clean and pretty.
  3. To get a round cake out of the pan without ruining it: trace a circle from the pan on wax paper. Cut out the circle and place it on the bottom of the pan. Flour or spray the pan (sides AND bottom).
    Let the cake cool completely before attempting to remove it from the pan. Put a plate on top of the pan. While clasping the plate to the pan, flip the pan over. The cake will gently plop onto the plate. It is upside down now, so take your final plate (the one you want the cake served from) and place that on top, as centered as possible. Repeat the process of flipping the cake. Frost the top of this bottom layer, making sure to bring the frosting to the edges (don't worry about the sides yet).
    Repeat the process with the second layer, but when you are ready to flip it onto the bottom layer, spread your fingers over the second layer's edges...line up one side of the edge with the bottom layer, and gently lay it down from there. Now frost the top and sides.
  4. To frost: plop a large dollop in the center and gently spread from center to edges until layer is even.
  5. You can freeze a cake before frosting if you'd like. You can always brush a cake to get rid of excess crumblies before frosting, but freezing the cake ensures it will be sturdy and can withstand some more vigorous spreading of the frosting. ;) It might also make it easier for you to line up the second layer with the bottom layer.
  6. If you're doing a designer cake, definitely freeze it before you start cutting the shapes out.
Wow, was that exhausting? I kind of threw it out there all at once!

No comments: