Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

March 13, 2010

Banana Bread

This is funny... I've always hated banana bread. I never realized it was just because we always had it with a streusel-nut topping! Well, that and the fact that it was usually cold (and kind of hard) whenever someone brought it to us. And it was always brought--I don't remember my mom ever making banana bread.

And then Michael told me it's his favorite thing ever.

So, purely out of love, I made him banana bread. I just considered it a good way to use all the bananas we hadn't eaten in time (new cooks: brown bananas are okay. Freeze as is or peel and puree before freezing). And I'd let him eat the whole loaf, because I knew I would think it was disgusting. I made who-knows-how-many loaves for him before finally one day, pregnant and hungrily inhaling the sultry scent of warm and fresh bread, I took a bite.

WOW! Converted.

Banana Bread
printable version (includes streusel-nut topping)

Prep: 25 minutes
Bake: 55 minutes (depending)
Oven: 350*F
Makes: 1 loaf (16 slices)

2 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
1.5 cups mashed ripe banana (5 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cooking oil -OR- melted butter -OR- margarine
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional--Michael's allergic, so no thanks)
1 recipe Streusel Nut Topping (optional)

1. Preheat oven. Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of one 9x5x3-inch or two 7.5x3.5x2-inch loaf pans; set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl combine eggs, banana, sugar and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in walnuts, I guess...hahahhah! If you use them. Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). If desired, and only if, sprinkle Streusel Nut Topping over batter in pan(s).

3. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes for 9x5x3-inch pan or 40 to 45 minutes for 7.5x3.5x2-inch pans or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
I love to cover the pans loosely with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning--I really recommend it.
Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on rack. Wrap; store overnight before slicing.

HAH! Unless you're like us! We LOVE warm banana bread, so there's no waiting here. Once it's out of the pan, it's as good as gone. Try it with a light layer of butter, too...ohhh it will melt you!

Streusel-Nut Topping (optional)

In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 3 TBS all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in 2 TBS butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped walnuts.

We leave out the walnuts (Michael's allergic to them, and I don't care for the crunch on my heavenly bread).

1 comment:

Meg said...

I also LOVE streusel topping when I bake but only without the nuts... I like to use oats instead. Thanks for the recipe! I've been looking for a good banana bread recipe that bakes in a full-size bread pan since I don't have the mini ones.