Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

March 13, 2010

Brown Sugar-Glazed Carrots

Believe it or not, this is low fat! And if you or your kids have a particular aversion to carrots, this might help you eat them without plugging your nose. I think it's delicious, even treat-like (although there's no way carrots are replacing my chocolate needs).
I like to use this recipe when doing vegetables my regular style gets boring (butter, maybe a spice or two).

Brown Sugar-Glazed Carrots

1 lb peeled baby carrots -OR- medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 TBS butter or margarine (I'm truly a butter snob, go for it)
1 TBS packed brown sugar
Dash salt
Black pepper

1. In a medium saucepan cook carrots, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; remove carrots from pan.

2. In the same saucepan combine butter, brown sugar and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until combined. Add carrots. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until glazed. Season to taste with pepper.

Herbed-Glazed Carrots: Prepare as above, except substitute 1 TBS honey for the brown sugar and add 1 TBS snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed, to the butter mixture.

Mmmm...I love vegetables.

No comments: