Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

January 7, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

I doubt I could get a very pretty picture for this... but it tastes wonderful. It's everything I could want spaghetti sauce to be! We ate ours with spaghetti squash.

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
printable version


1 lb. ground beef or sausage (if you'd rather do meatless, just add 1 TBS oil in the first step)
1/2 cup chopped onion (1/2 large onion--you can double if you love onions)
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped (4 cups) OR two 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
one 6-oz. can tomato paste
2 TBS snipped fresh parsley OR 2 tsp dried parsley, crushed
1 TBS snipped fresh basil OR 1 tsp dried basil, crushed
1 TBS snipped fresh oregano OR 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
2 tsp snipped fresh marjoram OR 1/2 tsp dried marjoram, crushed
1/2 tsp cinnamon (that's an Italian secret!)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
shredded mozzarella cheese, one or two handfuls (tip from Marcy Jackson)


  1. In a large saucepan cook beef or sausage with the onion, sweet pepper, celery and garlic until meat is brown; drain. 
  2. Stir in tomato, tomato paste, 1/3 cup water, parsley, DRIED herbs (if using in place of fresh), sugar, sugar, pepper and cinnamon. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. 
  3. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. 
  4. Stir in FRESH herbs, if using.
  5. (You would cook pasta at this point). 
  6. When sauce is done, add mozzarella cheese and stir until cheese has melted. This adds a creamy, thicker flavor to the sauce.


I love topping my spaghetti and sauce with parmesan cheese.
You could leave out the meat and make meatballs to add with the meal.
When I made this, I used all dried herbs--fresh would obviously be better, but the sauce still doesn't disappoint with dried. I also did only 3 tomatoes with 1 can of diced.
You could add mushrooms, if you like. Saute them separately and add for the last 10 to 15 minutes of simmering to avoid overcooking the mushrooms.

No comments: