Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

January 7, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

This soup is incredible. It's more like a bisque with its creamy, rich texture. It's restaurant quality (if we're talking about the best restaurants out there). The first time I had it was years ago when we were invited to the home of a woman who was hosting a Russian pianist. Michael speaks Russian and loves music, so she wanted us there to help welcome him. The entire evening was perfect, but I have especially remembered that soup with great fondness. :)

Butternut Squash Soup
printable version

3 cups peeled, diced butternut squash (about 1 small)
2 cups thinly sliced carrot (4 medium)
3/4 cup chopped onion (I used 3/4 tsp onion powder as an emergency sub)
1 TBS butter
2 14-oz cans (that's 3 1/2 cups) reduced-sodium chicken broth (my favorite is Swanson's)
1/4 tsp ground white pepper (black will work)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup half-n-half or light cream (while making pumpkin pie for Christmas, I learned from my niece Autumn that evaporated milk can be a substitute for this)
toasted pumpkin seeds as garnish (optional)

I peeled and diced the squash and carrots the night before. It's not hard, just a little time-consuming. Make sure you peel the squash past the "rind." (If you slice the ends first, it will be easier to see how deep you need to go).
All of these substitutions I've noted on here are what I did. The soup was amazing even so...but I have to say, following the recipe exactly will give you the very best version of this soup. Especially when it comes to white pepper. 

In a large covered saucepan cook squash, carrot and leek in hot butter over medium heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 to 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.

Place one-third of the squash mixture in a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until almost smooth. Repeat with remaining squash mixture. Return all of mixture to the saucepan.
Add white pepper and nutmeg; bring just to boiling.
Add half-n-half; heat through.

Serve hot! 

(Optional: garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds).

No comments: