Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

January 7, 2012

Oaty Muffins

We ate these before I got a picture. I'd say sorry, but that's just how good these are.
These use oat flour, which in this case is just my quick oats blended to a powder. You could use fancier oats (rolled, old fashioned, etc.), but the quick oats are best for making these muffins especially moist.
The difference between types of oats in baking is the resulting texture and moisture. Quick oats make things softer by absorbing wet ingredients better, and rolled oats give you a more grainy, flavorful result. So choose based on whether you want flavor or moisture, but these muffins are amazing because of the moisture. 

Oaty Muffins
printable version

1 cup flour
3/4 cup oat flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil (can sub with butter, but the oil is another part of the moisture in these muffins)


  1. Preheat oven to 400*F. Grease muffin cups or line with paper cups; set aside. I found that this recipe makes 11 muffins. I'm okay with that odd number. 
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
  3. In another bowl, combine egg, milk and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Batter may be smoother than typical muffins. 
  4. Spoon batter (I'd say around 2 oz. per cup), filling each about 2/3 full. 
  5. Topping- In a small bowl stir together 3 TBS packed brown sugar, 3 TBS oat flour and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon. Cut in 2 TBS butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spoon over muffins. 
  6. Bake 18 to 20 minutes. 

No comments: