Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

June 9, 2010

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies


(I love these stackable racks! Sorry the frosting is sort of an unappetizing peachy color...we wanted something different from the typical, and with all those colors in the rainbow to choose from, we thought this was a good idea. Well at least it doesn't taste different from pink frosting.)


I have a teensy (pretty unexciting) confession...I have always really liked store-bought sugar cookies. Mmm, they're the perfect texture, the perfect flavor. I have a hard time not eating too many at once, to say the least.
And the other half of my confession: I have always really hated homemade sugar cookies. Seriously. They're gross. They're pretty much ALWAYS too hard, crunchy in a bland way, and just plain stupid. Cookies should be yummy.
*ahem*
So now I have some repenting to do, because apparently all those poor people making sugar cookies either liked them that way or didn't have the right recipe. As part of my repenting process, I'm sharing The Right Recipe. It's as good as storebought. :D (Who says that when sharing recipes?)
(And sure, it's probably better...if you care...)

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
(from Michael's family)

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup margarine (or shortening)
1/2 cup butter

Cream first three ingredients together. Now add:

3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream (~8 oz.)
5 cups flour (with high altitude, you may need more)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Roll dough onto a floured surface--remember to flour the rolling pin and your hands, too. :)
Spread dough to about...1/2" thick. Cut shapes with cookie cutters or a small cup...place on ungreased cookie sheet.
This is a dough that works fine with re-rolling the scraps. I used every last bit!
Bake 10 - 12 minutes at 350*.

Michael and I don't think they're quite perfect until they've got some FROSTING on them.
And then they're so perfect that I hog the whole tupperware of 60+ cookies to myself (like right now--I'm NOT lying--the tupperware of cookies is in my lap. There are 10 left. Ender started to eat one and decided he didn't like having frosting on his hands. Michael has eaten, oh, something like 6 or 8 cookies. And I haven't given any to the neighbors yet...I keep telling myself I should...really, no wonder I'm not losing inches at my waistline...)

Wow. That's embarrassing. 60+ cookies? Where have they gone?!

2 comments:

Rae said...

Q, I made chocolate chip cookies the other day and probably ate ten of them in the form of dough, and then probably that many more in baked form. :)

Abby said...

Hahaha! I hope you have comments set to go to your email because this is an OLD post and I JUST found out you had a recipe blog. :)

I love my sugar cookie recipe too. It looks similar to this. And I love my cookie racks too. They also look similar to this. Mom bought me mine. Pampered Chef I think?

And I eat WAY too many cookies when I make them too...must be a Boatright thing? *cough cough* Or we could just pretend it is...