Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

June 9, 2010

Salmon Pesto Mayo

Before you gasp in disgust, let me inform you: that salmon is supposed to be green. I'm sorry--I tried to take a flattering picture, but the lighting just disagreed with my camera. And...heh heh, the avacado got away from me when I tried to place it artistically to the side...(and trust me, the avacado did fit in with the meal--it went with a side dish).

This was the most delicious salmon I have ever tasted in my life. In my life. And I made it! Me! Ha, I call myself a chef for fun with this blog, but whoa, this was some magic gourmet coming from my kitchen. Oh yeah, and guess what, it was easy. But don't tell everybody that because I'm still impressed with myself.

Salmon Pesto Mayo

4 5-6 oz. fresh or frozen skinless salmon fillets (or one gigantic fillet, it doesn't matter especially)
1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (use mayo--and I'll admit, when I first read the title, I thought it was something fancier than mayo and pronounced it "My-o" and thought "ooooh")
3 TBS purchased basil pesto (I bought a little package of dry mix)
Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional--I totally forgot about it)

1. Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Measure thickness of fish.
2. Place fish fillets on the GREASED unheated rack of a broiler pan, tucking under thin edges.
Broil 4 inches from the heat for 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2 inch thickness or until fish begins to flake when tested with a fork. (If fillets are 1 inch or more thick, carefully turn once half-way through broiling).
3. Meanwhile, for topping, in a small bowl stir together mayonnaise and pesto. Spoon mayonnaise mixture over fillets. Broil about 1 minute more or until topping is bubbly. If desired, garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese.

It was quick (SUPER quick--under 10 minutes, I'm sure) and easy and SOOOOO good!!!!!

Special thanks to my fabulous cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens. At least I think that's the cookbook I used.

I served rice with the salmon. It's not really worth a recipe spot, but I'll tell you how it was special: Brown rice cooked traditionally with a sprinkling of cinnamon & sugar. Topped with fresh avacado and sauteed mushrooms. Isn't that weird? It was extremely delicious. The flavors blended into a sultry, divine dish. I don't even know how I got the idea--it kind of worries me sometimes what recipe ideas I get, so I'm just glad this worked. I don't know why I felt so sure about going on with it, but I'm just glad.

1 comment:

Rae said...

This sounds HEAVENLY...and have you ever tried Abby's salmon cakes with lemon aoli? SOOOOO good!