Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

September 17, 2011

Little Snippets from my Food Faux Pas History


You may have read my post about Pudding Frosting. Who gets those ideas? It's like "Hey, here's something no one else would think of, therefore I must be genius." Here's some more instances when my brain simply wasn't functioning on all cylinders (heh...I almost wrote "burners," but then I remembered that not everyone gets my humor. It's so dry it's dehydrated. Um..yeah, see?).



*Who needs substitutions? As a poor college student, I set about making box-macaroni and cheese for myself. But partway through, I discovered I had no butter. No big deal, I'd just leave it out. Then I discovered I had no milk. I thought --and who thinks like this?--"well, water will at least get the cheese powder to work on these noodles, right?" And it was so disgusting. Plain noodles would have been worlds better. I gagged it all down, wondering the whole time if starving might actually be a better idea (I soon after rearranged my food budget with my generous parents and ate much better foods).

* Breakfast for a less-than-cheery roommate...Jenn was helping and had to remind me to actually turn on the heat...
"Qait, the eggs won't cook themselves, you know."
"What? I know that. What are you talking about?"

* Buttermilk Brine Chicken for Michael's WHOLE FAMILY. Whoa, nerves.
And maybe this one doesn't count because the family liked it. But I really didn't. It was SO salty. WAY too salty...I just didn't tell anyone that the chicken had been soaking up the brine for...um...maybe a week? I conveniently don't remember.

* My favorite! This one isn't so much a food disaster; the table was set, the chicken looked passable (phewf), and everything was ready. From the kitchen, I asked the guest couple to please turn off the fan over the table so it wouldn't cool the food when I put it out.
The fan broke off the ceiling and crashed into the table. :|
Whoooow...forget breaking the ice, we broke dishes. I LAUGHED! But that poor couple. They never recovered. Conversation over dinner was very shy and quiet, despite our efforts. At least the food was glass-free.

No comments: