Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

May 24, 2010

French Toast

This is a dreamy breakfast for me...one of my favorites.
(Michael has never cared for French Toast, and I'm not going to say this recipe converted him, but he didn't mind it quite so much when I left out the spices for his slices--we figured out that's the main part that bothers him).
I, on the other hand, practically drool over French Toast.

French Toast

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
about 4 slices of bread --try this with my french bread recipe, it's heavenly!
butter

In a shallow mixing bowl (I know this is very dorky and ghetto, but I use a bread pan because it is the perfect shape for my french bread slices), beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and if desired, cinnamon and nutmeg. Dip bread into egg mixture, letting it soak about 10 seconds on each side (this is important!). If using regular white bread, a little dip for each side will suffice.
In a skillet or on a griddle melt about 1 TBS butter over medium heat. Add bread slices and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Serve warm with syrup or powdered sugar...or fruit...or jam...etc. :)

I keep a little whisk handy to remix everything between bread dippings because the ingredients tend to part a little bit.

This made something like 6 to 8 slices for us. The recipe is easily doubled.

No comments: