Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

May 24, 2010

10 Grain Muffins


This is maybe really silly of me to post this recipe...because it comes on the package of 10 Grain cereal.
But I have to! What if you get a generic brand of 10 grain? Or what if...I don't know, what if you've never heard of it before?
Because basically, these were so very satisfying and tasty and perfect that I just have to share!
These muffins are almost the consistency of cornbread, and they're also packed with a really intensely nutritious flavor! Really, with these, nutrition DOES have a flavor. ("Yum, I'm getting healthy!")

10 Grain Muffins

1 large egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 cup white flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup 10 Grain Cereal
1 1/4 cup sour milk -or- buttermilk (I used sour*)

Mix 10 Grain Cereal and milk; allow to stand for 10 minutes while preheating oven (400) and assembling other ingredients. Cream sugar, butter and egg together.
Add dry ingredients and milk mixture. Stir only until mixed.
Spoon into greased muffin pan.
Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

*TIP: if you don't have any sour milk, pour about 1 TBS lemon juice into your empty measuring cup and then fill with milk. Let it sit a couple minutes, stirring gently if necessary.
Milk is actually still okay to drink a week after the date on the jug, it just can't be sold that late. And this may be myth, but I think milks with more fat content go sour a little faster than skim milk.

PS: this is something my mom has always done: when the muffins come out of the oven, I use a knife (or tongs or whatever, who really cares) and turn the muffins sideways. This helps them cool a little faster and keeps them from over-baking in their still-hot pan. That's why the muffins are sideways in the picture. :)

No comments: