Kitchen Integrity

All Posted Recipes:
I have tried it!
I like it!
(Or I tell you my stupid mistakes)

January 7, 2011

Rice

Well, I've learned that some people have never made rice without a rice cooker. I've been told some of the advantages of using one, but they were so unimportant to me that I've already forgotten what they were. Not to be snooty, I'm just saying. Learn this way too.

  1. Usually 2 parts water to 1 part rice, but read the instructions (and that right there sums up this post, I guess).
  2. Put in pan together, bring to boil (as in, DON'T bring the water to a boil and then add rice)
  3. Turn heat to low/simmer. 
  4. Set timer for 20 minutes. 
  5. Stir a couple times if you want, not really necessary.
  6.  Makes about 4 cups cooked rice. 
  7. With brown rice*, just let it cook for 45 minutes instead of 20, but the rules are the same.  
*Brown rice will never get as soft as white rice does--it just has a different texture. As for wild rice, I don't know how different that stuff is, I've never cooked with it yet (I hated it as a kid but now I think it's cool).

That's it.
Now here's what I always do in addition to that basic recipe:

With 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rice, I add 1 TBS butter and a few dashes of salt (like I shake the shaker over it all a few times). And sometimes I add the littlest bit of extra water and let the rice sit just a few minutes longer than 20 so that it will be soft for sure. I really like soft rice--it can be eaten "al dente" like some noodles, but...yeah, it's up to you.
Then I consider the rice PERFECT.

Here are some fun things you can try in your cooking!

Cook the rice with coconut milk instead of water. (This also makes a great dish when you add sliced sausage and black beans, yum!)
Add a sprinkle of cinnamon! Be generous if you want, it's a very subtle hint of flavor.
Add sugar! 
Omit butter/salt and drop a bouillon cube or ~1 tsp granules. 

Experiment!




Here are some simple and cheap rice dishes (with finished, cooked rice):

The sausage one mentioned above-- use hot-dog-like sausages, not ground. I don't remember which kind is best, but usually something spicy. I want to say German. Even though this is a southern dish. Add black beans and sausage to cooked rice, continue to cook till everything's hot. Very good.

Put some cream of chicken soup over the rice. Serve with biscuits, too, if you want.

Add a generous sprinkle of sugar and pour a little bit of milk over the rice. Hot or cold, your preference. Kind of an old people cereal, but it's kind of tasty! :)

Add scrambled eggs, diced ham, teensy-chopped chives, and perhaps peas... and stick it in a frying pan to stir fry till everything's hot. Fried rice!

    No comments: